No matter the type of rent somehow landlord always wants to overlook the tenants in their apartments, although those who are renting apartment have their right on privacy, as they are paying for it. In order to keep both sides happy it is important to include both tenant and tenants’ right in a lease agreement, however this is not always easy thing to do since the landlord-tenants law varies from state to state.
However, there are 5 key renters’ rights that are the same in every country.
1. No matter where you rent apartment landlord is the one that do all repairs in apartment and take these costs. These repairs can make tenants, however the cost should be reimbursed through monthly rent or in cash. For every case note this in the lease, as well as the period these repairs should be done.
2. Every landlord is supposed to let know the tenant if entering the apartment, if possible at least 24 hours before. However, these visits should be really minimum and just in case of an emergency or due to repairs.
3. You are not allowed to rent the apartment to the third party; however the landlord is not allowed to overlook the number of guest you are receiving as well as when you are leaving or entering apartment. You are not paying just the apartment but your privacy. This is maybe the most important tenants’ right.
4. Your landlord may tell you the thing that bothers him, however you are the one to decide if you will respect it or not. In any case he is not allowed to change the locks and things in apartment without any notice, as well as to visit the apartment while you are not home.
5. Almost every landlord is asking for the security deposit that is usually not higher than a monthly rent; however have in mind that security deposit is returned within two to four weeks after the tenant has notified the landlord about moving out, and is not refundable just in case of physical damages or not paying the bills. In any other case you should get your security deposit back until the last penny. In a case that you are not entering the new apartment yours is to take a look, to take a photo and to make the list of stuff and damages and to give it to the landlord. In case if you forget to do it, don’t be surprised if you have to pay for some damage that you didn’t make.